Having a mobile ready website for your business is absolutely essential in today’s world!
Think about it. Have you ever asked a room full of business owners if they have their cellphones with them? I have. Almost everyone raises their hands. The few who don’t left their phone in the car because they were coming into a meeting!
In 2012, the Neilson research company did some research, in conjunction with Google, on the mobile search habits of consumers. Here are some of their findings:
- 77% of mobile searches occur at home or at work; 17% on the go
- Shopping queries are 2x more likely to be in store
- 3 of 4 mobile searches trigger follow-up actions, whether it be further research, a store visit, a phone call, a purchase or word-of-mouth sharing.
- Mobile search triggered follow-up actions also happen very quickly: 55% of conversions (store visit, phone call or purchase) happen within an hour
- Speed and convenience are the main drivers of mobile search
So 73% of mobile searches trigger additional action and conversions:
- 36% result in continued research
- 25% visited a retailer’s website
- 18% shared the information
28% of mobile searches result in conversions:
- 17% Visited a Store
- 17% Made a Purchase
- 7% Called a Business
How would you like to have a 17% conversion on your newspaper or radio advertising? It would never happen, you say?
So what would you like your customers and potential customers to see when they visit your website from their mobile devices?
In the coming weeks, I’m going to talk about specific elements of good mobile-ready web design.
For more details on the Google/Neilson study check this Google presentation.